We are lucky that View Ridge Elementary enjoys a large, engaged and generous community. With the help of a large team of dedicated parent volunteers, we attempt to raise around $300,000 a year to fill in district funding gaps and make View Ridge a supportive and enriching place for kids to learn. This money “buys” what the district budget doesn’t cover, providing View Ridge with extra staff, including a full-time librarian, a 4th and 5th grade band and instrumental music program, a school counselor, a reading specialist for any student who needs it, and additional funding for nursing and specialists. This year, the PTA contributed $243,491 for this additional staffing. By the end of the year, the PTA will have also spent about $50,000 for additional school support, including:
- Additional classroom supplies for every teacher and books for every grade level, plus professional development conferences and workshops for teachers;
- In-school programs and speakers, including Science Center mini-assemblies, Lunar New Year celebration and internet safety presentations for parents and fifth graders;
- Grade-level programs like the First Grade Kindness Project, Second Grade Iditarod, Fourth Grade Camp Orkila and Fifth Grade Graduation;
- School-wide events free to everyone: Boo Ridge, Family Dance, Pancake Breakfast, Ice Cream Social, Wednesday Game Days and OtterCon; and
- Support for our entire community by providing school supplies, weekend food backpacks and holiday food support, yearbooks and after-school enrichment scholarships to any family requesting it.
The list is long, and thanks to (not exaggerating) the thousands of volunteer hours and exceptional generosity of our parent community thus far, we’re very close to meeting our fundraising goals for this year. If your family budget allows, please consider donating to the View Ridge PTA for the 2018-19 school year. Whether that amount is $5 or $550, your participation sustains the programs at View Ridge that create and support lifelong learners.
Donation information went home via kid mail this week. You can also donate online here. If you can support the school with a monetary donation, please do so by Friday, May 24.
Finally, you’ll see a different fundraising model starting in October 2019. We’re moving to ONE fundraiser – a direct appeal in October with several events to support it (including a Fun Run for kids and parent-sponsored parties). We’ll also be rolling out an option for recurring donations. We look forward to simplifying the “ask” while keeping the “fun” intact!